[Gambas-devel] System calls?

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...19...
Sun Feb 1 16:44:27 CET 2004

On Saturday 31 January 2004 12:58, Ahmad Kamal wrote:
>     Just wondering, had VB been limited only to VB internal
> functions, it would have been very limited, fortunately we had
> Windows APIs! I was wondering if there is any mechanism to
> enable us to call standard unix sys calls (or regular C libs)
> from within GB (like Dlls from VB). I know that that doesn't
> exist up till now, I am asking if it is possible to implement
> such a mechanism. Would be pretty interesting huh.

A while ago I started to think about writing a sort of "dlopen
component" which would try to do much of what you describe, but
so far I haven't had to because I haven't run into anything I
can't do by running a command line program on a pipe and
receiving its output in realtime (which is difficult in windows
and impossible in VB.) I think it's only a matter of time,
though.

Rob