[Gambas-devel] gambas fails to install in most platforms except i386

José L. Redrejo Rodríguez jredrejo at ...101...
Tue Dec 14 18:31:50 CET 2004

El mar, 14-12-2004 a las 18:06 +0100, Benoit Minisini escribió:
> On Thursday 09 December 2004 13:17, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> > Hi, Benoît, when finally the 0.99+1.0RC2 version has gone into debian
> > sid I have found a new problem: it compiles on every platform, but the
> > installation fails in all of them excepting intel 386.
> > When creating the debian package, source is compiled, and later
> > installed on the building directory. This last step is failing in most
> > platforms, but in gambas 0.99 it worked in all platforms, excepting
> > powerpc.
> > You can see the build logs at
> > http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?pkg=gambas
> >
> > The error is the same in all platforms:

> > make[3]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/gambas-0.99+1.0RC2/src'
> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/gambas-0.99+1.0RC2/src'
> > make[2]: Entering directory `/build/buildd/gambas-0.99+1.0RC2'
> > make[3]: Entering directory `/build/buildd/gambas-0.99+1.0RC2'
> > Installing with ROOT=/build/buildd/gambas-0.99+1.0RC2/debian/tmp
> >

> > Creating the library info files...
> > make[3]: *** [install-exec-local] Segmentation fault
> > make[3]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/gambas-0.99+1.0RC2'
> > make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/gambas-0.99+1.0RC2'
> > make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/gambas-0.99+1.0RC2'
> > make: *** [install] Error 2
> >

> > Have you  made any modification in the source code that could cause this
> > error? any idea?
> >

> Is it possible to launch 'gbi -a' in 'gdb' by hand on these system to know
> exactly where it crashes ?

I am afraid it is not possible because those are Debian autobuilders
where no maintainers have direct access. Sources are just uploaded there
and compiled.
I think it has to be something not very hard for you to discover using
this information that a Debian maintainer has sent me. It looks logical,
and I was going to try it , but I would like your opinion before:

#############################
The version of libtool used to build this source package is too old to
correctly support shared libraries for the Debian mips and mipsel
architectures.  Debian versions 1.5-2 and 1.4.2-7 and higher correctly
support them.  You need to update all of the libtool related files by
running the following on your source tree:

        autoreconf --force

You may need to use the --install option as well.  You can also try the
individual commands needed yourself:

        libtoolize --force --copy
        aclocal
        autoheader
        automake -a
        autoconf

autoheader may not be needed, and you may need to use versioned binaries
(autoconf2.13, automake-1.{4,6,7}, aclocal-1.{4,6,7}, etc)

The correct 'configure' script will have output that looks like this:
linux*)
  lt_cv_deplibs_check_method=pass_all
  ;;

Older versions of libtool used a file_magic check for the pattern
file_magic ELF [0-9][0-9]*-bit [LM]SB (shared object|dynamic lib )

The output of file(1) on a shared library on MIPS does not match this
regular expression, however.  Earlier versions of file had been
modified to match this regular expression, but the latest version uses
the same output as upstream once again.  The file check often causes
problems, and results on a build-dep on file that you might not
otherwise be aware of.  The new method doesn't need file(1) at all,
and is far less fragile, so it is best to upgrade the configure script
with proper mips support.