[Gambas-devel] Gambas interface

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...19...
Sun Aug 15 23:57:38 CEST 2004

On Sunday 15 August 2004 14:11, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> several windows, all of which take up space on the taskbar (or
> whatever it's called in Linux - I used to use Windows)  I'd
> like to set up an MDI interface for Gambas, if possible.
> Where should I start?

I did that myself close to a year ago, with a now-ancient version
of gambas (look in the older entries on http://www.kudla.org and
you'll find it.)  In the source tarball for gambas, there's an
"app/" directory and in it is the source for gambas and
gambas-database-manager.  I stopped maintaining it because I
couldn't keep up with the rapid Gambas releases at the time
(each release would break my patch and it got too confusing to
maintain it.  Besides, I never came up with a docking bar like
VB has or any of that stuff.)

Another workaround is to start Gambas in another virtual desktop
(KDE defaults to having 4 of them available) but then it's a
pain in the ass to switch back and forth.  The GIMP developers
frequently use this as an excuse for why they haven't made an
MDI version of their app despite all the complaints.  Benoit
and/or Fabien is working on some kind of tabbed interface for
Gambas post-1.0, so hopefully us fans of "one big window" will
get our wish eventually ;)

Rob