[Gambas-devel] Version Control

Yizhou He yizhou_he at ...143...
Sun Aug 8 06:34:12 CEST 2004

>OK, I see: you want something like CVS, i.e. a repository of the
>project that keep every change of every version.

something like that, the main goal is not keep change of every version,
the main goal is to merge the change made by different developer
correctly and easily.

> CVS can be used with gambas projects. Did you ever look at this
software ?

you want to integrate CVS into gambas projects or write a lite one best
fit gambas needs.

> If you want to add something like that in the IDE, it is not
something light. So I think this should be optional in the code. Maybe
I won"t put it in the  main tree before the 1.0, because it is a big
change in the IDE, like the pretty printer.
> I must think about that, as I almost finished all I wanted to do for
the 1.0.

I think full function CVS is too much for Gambas, we don't not need
that many overpowerful(or useless) function. At least not now.

> It is not a bug, be careful: Split() only works with characters, and
>the "Separator" argument is a list of splitting characters. Moreover,
>it ignores
> the UTF-8 encoding of the string.

I see.

> An automatic ChangeLog file could be useful, don"t you think ?

for the function I proposed, compare the changes between start point
and end point is good enough. Too much inter-media information make the
log file unreadable. Undo is kind of historic function, modify from
that point may get the historic changelog file easier.

> Note that there is already a CHANGELOG file that is generated when
>you use the packager wizard.

I think gambas should load the Changelog of source code generated
automaticly(the way I proposed) and let developer add comments or
summary after that. And I think this changelog is based on last
released version instead of last modified version. the log of inter-
media change will confuss developer.

> It is normal. I see that you use "Netscape WebMail". Can"t you use
another mail client ?
I can not, "Netscape WebMail" is not my mail client, it is our
university's email server. I'm using outlook as my mail client.

Yizhou He

Research Technician (Xiong Lab)
Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7295