[Gambas-devel] Re: comments on Automatic changelog

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Aug 8 01:20:54 CEST 2004

On Saturday 07 August 2004 20:27, Yizhou He wrote:
> >I think you should provide the tar.gz of your complete patched IDE
> >project.
> >This way, I will able to look at the difference with the original 0.96
> >project, to easily understand and check your code.
>
> That is why we need this function, The aim is for group developer can
> easier communicate each other, that is why all the change is only
> compared with the backup based on versions. They can track all the
> change they made based on last release version. By sending the
> Changelog+Version.txt to each other, by apply the file to the release
> function(havn't done yet,do it manually for now), developer can merage
> the changes from different develpers.

OK, I see: you want something like CVS, i.e. a repository of the project that
keep every change of every version.

CVS can be used with gambas projects. Did you ever look at this software ?

If you want to add something like that in the IDE, it is not something light.
So I think this should be optional in the code. Maybe I won't put it in the
main tree before the 1.0, because it is a big change in the IDE, like the
pretty printer.

I must think about that, as I almost finished all I wanted to do for the 1.0.

> >This was already done actually: backup files have the '~' character
> >appended.
>
> I thought this backup file is made everytime change was made.(I may
> wrong) and according to my aims, the appending of version number is
> required.
>
> >I think you should use the 'diff' command instead of reinventing the
> >wheel.
>
> Thanks for let me know that, I need look into how to use the command.
> the wheel I use can be a lot simpler if you can fix the bug in split or
> tell me something I don't know to use it. I try to split the string
> returned from openfile with "\nEND\n" but the array it return is not
> what I expected.

It is not a bug, be careful: Split() only works with characters, and the
'Separator' argument is a list of splitting characters. Moreover, it ignores
the UTF-8 encoding of the string.

> >I think you could put all the changes in the same files little by
> >little. Like
> >a log file. Don't create a file for each version.
> >
> >I think you should put in this file when a new file is added to the
> >project,
> >when a file is removed, when the project property changed, when a
> >translation
> >is added, when the version number change, when a package is made... It
> >will
> >be like an historic.
> >
> >You could name this file ".history" or something like that. You must
> >put a dot
> >before the name of the file, so that this file don't go in the
> >executable.
>
> This is not what I want to do. But if you think this is useful too, i
> can make both easily.

An automatic ChangeLog file could be useful, don't you think ?

Note that there is already a CHANGELOG file that is generated when you use the
packager wizard.

> How can I open the attachment for maillist? All I got is bas64 encoded
> text files.

It is normal. I see that you use "Netscape WebMail". Can't you use another
mail client ?

> Thanks for comments.
>
> Yizhou He
> Research Technician (Xiong Lab)