[Gambas-devel] An idea

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu Apr 15 22:51:44 CEST 2004

On Thursday 15 April 2004 20:07, Daniel wrote:
> > > Regards,
> >
> > This is the idea :-)
> >
> > The problem are:
> > - The differences between QT and XUL.
>
> Well, of course not all can be translated, but a good interface can
> be developed using this class, very much better that those developed
> with pure HTML, and fastest, so I will continue working on this
> experiment!
>
> > - The dynamic behaviour of the form, i.e. Gambas -> Javascript.
>
> You can not work as you use to do in a remote application, a part of the
> work must be done in the server, and another part in the client, so I
> will add a gambas-XUL class for any graphical object, so I can manage
> events i two ways:
>
> -> To be executed in the client : Javascript added in a string to the
> XUL code
>
> -> To be executed in the server : an XML-RPC call to the server,
> executed using Gambas code

In the future, I want to make Gambas projects scriptable by exporting some of
the project classes. I imagine some component that creates a socket (unix or
inet) and define a protocol allowing another gambas project to use the
exported classes like normal classes.

Isn't it possible to merge the two ideas ? This is a question, I don't
know :-)

- Sending XUL interface and receiving XML-RPC calls.
- Calling a project class from another project by XML-RPC.

> Unless somebody wants to write a "GambasScript" language for Mozilla and
> Konqueror I don't see any way to translate gambas code to javascript in
> the client...However knowing Gambas and a little JavaScript, a quite
> good server CGI could be written!
>
> > An idea could be making a XUL component. The IDE will draw forms by using
> > QT Widgets. But at execution, the translation is done.
>
> I will develope a component in the future, at this moment Gambas is
> faster to develope it...

After 1.0, I will try to allow Gambas projects to be used like components:
exporting controls, having a *.component file, ...

At the moment, the USE instruction allows including another compiled gambas
project into a running one, but it is not the same behaviour than loading a
component.

This way, your XUL developmement could be a true component, even if developed
with Gambas :-)

> Regards,
>
> Daniel Campos

mailto:gambas at ...1...