[Gambas-devel] Network Component

Scott Harrison scotth999 at ...7...
Sat Sep 20 19:48:46 CEST 2003

Hi,

I was reading the outline below in the help dialog of
Gambas which described what was required from a
network component.  Have you considered using the BEEP
protocol?  This was precisely why BEEP was designed.
Everyone keeps reinventing the wheel on network
components so Dr. Rose developed the BEEP protocol to
avoid reengineering the same thing over and over.  The
protocol is covered under RFC 3080 and RFC 3081.
There are several BEEP libraries already available but
the main group is located at:

http://www.beepcore.org

Check it out.  It could save a lot of time.  I have
used BEEP in several projects.  The best
implementation that I have found is called RoadRunner
BEEP and it is found at http://www.codefactory.se.

Scott (Gambas Newbie)

//////////////////////////////////////////////
The client component will almost be the same as the
socket component Nigel did.
But the server component will be something more
sophisticated. It will transform a Gambas application
into a true TCP/IP server.
The programmer will just have to specifiy a port
number and a protocol. The component will do all the
polling, all the accept stuff, and will manage each
connection in the same process (no fork, no thread,
the interpreter won't support them).