[Gambas-devel] Gambas future

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...19...
Sat Sep 20 00:19:26 CEST 2003

On Friday 19 September 2003 17:47, Daniel Campos wrote:
>  There's one month or more without a new release of Gambas. I
> know Benoît has been busy, but there's not very much news at
> Gambas devel list, Gambas Wiky, nor kudla.org about this
> developement tool ...

Hi,

I did post a request to the list a week or two ago asking people
to check out the enhanced (but not finished) Gambas class
documentation wiki at

http://www.binara.com/gambas-wiki/bin/view/GambasTest/GambasComponent

specifically, the way all the inherited classes should have their
inherited symbols listed, and the new presentation of the four
kinds of symbols (in four columns), but I didn't hear back from
anyone, so I kinda forgot about it all.

I'm using Gambas on production machines already.  Comparing it to
KBasic or other failed Linux BASIC environments isn't really
valid anymore.  A 1.0 release will be nice when it comes, but I
don't know if it's possible to write a roadmap at the moment
with Benoit busy with school and theater.  August and September
are seldom good for free software projects anyway, at least
those without paid people working on them, between programmers
on holiday and those involved with education getting caught up
with offline stuff.  And coming up in 2 months are more holidays
for more people.

>  I write this letter to encourage developers to tell its
> opinions about the developement-time of this project and may
> be ideas to free Benoît of some work and increase speed of
> releases.

Frankly, I think you have done more with Gambas in C++ than
anyone else except Benoit, and you've been doing a great job
with the network component (I haven't had a specific use for it
yet, but I'd like to figure out a way to package it separately
till it's merged into the main Gambas) so maybe what Gambas
needs is some CVS like system that people like you have commit
access to.  Then maybe another branch for the parts written in
Gambas itself, and those of us who have done work on extending
those could have commit access to those.

But I don't really think Gambas has suffered that much yet.  It
made an absurd amount of progress in the 5 months between 0.50
and 0.65, so for Benoit to clear his head and live his life for
a few months seems only reasonable.  If things were still like
this when we hit the January slow season, I might start to worry
;)

Rob