[Gambas-devel] Gambas Database Manager - Access Denied

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...19...
Tue Jun 3 21:47:16 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 03 June 2003 18:43, Ken Schrock wrote:
> Should Joe Blow, who wants to make a small app at home using Gambas
> Know all about RDBMS and climb over a mountain of security to do it? NO.

I think a good compromise here would be for someone to write an embedded MySQL
module, that is, use the embedded capabilities that are supposed to be in
MySQL 4 (see http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Nutshell_Embedded_MySQL.html ) to
make a Gambas component that provides SQL access against local
MySQL files rather than needing a database, security, and all that stuff.
That way, the model that novice VB programmers are used to (just create an
MDB and open it in VB) is still available if it's needed, but the more secure
server-oriented database options aren't compromised as you propose.

Besides, if such a script (to automatically create a super gambas user without
saying anything) were included, the various distributions would doubtless
lock down MySQL/Postgres even more than they already do so that this would be
impossible for a non-root user in the first place.  Making an embedded mySQL
module to give the DBMS-novice Gambas user a playground seems a reasonable
alternative as well as being closer to the Access-style DBMS manipulation
they're used to.

Not that I'm volunteering ;)

Rob