[Gambas-devel] problems while installing gambas into a buildroot (needed for packaging)

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Dec 23 19:53:07 CET 2003

On Sunday 21 December 2003 17:22, Dries Verachtert wrote:
> Hello,

Hello,

> I would like to inform you that a 'make install' while using a buildroot
> (with $DESTDIR) is a bit difficult with the current Makefile.am files. At
> quite a lot of places, the variable $DESTDIR is not used.

Could you explain me what is a "buildroot" ? I never heard about the $DESTIR
variable before, and I don't understand it, because every variables like
$(bindir), $(datadir), or $(libdir) are already absolute paths given by the
prefix option of the configure script. Why adding something before an
absolute path ?

> I created a small patch which fixes the Makefile.am files so a 'make
> install' works. The file is attached to this mail.
>
> It might be interesting to change the 'reconf' script so it also does a
> reconf in libltdl immediately. It took me a while before i figured out that
> i also had to do a reconf in that directory :-)

Mmmm. You are right. I will fix it.

> The patched Makefile.am also checks if $(bindir) is different of /usr/bin,
> because if they are the same, the script shouldn't try to create links from
> /usr/bin/file to $(bindir)/file.

Excellent idea ! I wanted to do that for the next version.

> I still have one problem: the part where it creates the library info files
> won't work within a buildroot. Currently it's commented out if you apply
> the patch. The command which fails is:
> @$(DESTDIR)$(bindir)/gbi -a
> The errormessage is:
> Cannot read symbolic link /usr/bin/gbx
>
> Is there maybe a solution for this problem so i can also build the library
> info files within a buildroot?

Installing in /usr/bin needs a change in gbi and gbx (reading the symbolic
link is not needed in this case).

> Thank you in advance,
> Dries Verachtert

Thanks for your patch, but please answer my questions so that I can insert it
quietly !

mailto:gambas at ...1...