[Gambas-devel] hardcoded paths in gbi

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...19...
Thu Aug 7 15:02:49 CEST 2003

I'm trying to get my Gambas packages accepted by Mandrake for inclusion in
contribs.  They don't like the way I have separate source RPM's for Gambas
itself and the IDE.  They suggested I build the C/C++ parts, install them
into my RPM temporary directory, set my PATH appropriately, and then build
the Gambas parts.

Following their suggestions I finally got as far as building the IDE and other
parts written in Gambas, but gbi fails with "Cannot read symbolic link
/usr/bin/gbx".  Looking at gbi.c, that error message (and the check for file
/usr/bin/gbx) is hardcoded.  This means unless gbx has been installed into
/usr/bin you can't generate info files.  Removing that error() call causes
gbi to segfault without producing any output.  Is there a way to make gbi
work without needing gbx to be installed in a particular place?  Maybe adding
a "--use-gbx" or "-g" flag to specify an alternate path?  Are there other
things that will break if gb* isn't installed into /usr/bin that I haven't
thought of yet?

I noticed that the #! line at the beginning of the compiled Gambas archives is
correctly set to /usr/bin/gbx -x even though I compiled them using a gbx that
was in my RPM/tmp/gambas-0.63-build/usr/bin directory, so in some cases
hardcoding is good ;)

Rob