[Gambas-bugtracker] Bug #1505: slackware package creation not working properly

bugtracker at gambaswiki.org bugtracker at gambaswiki.org
Sat Jan 26 22:17:55 CET 2019

http://gambaswiki.org/bugtracker/edit?object=BUG.1505&from=L21haW4-

Comment #5 by tim DICKSON:

forgive my ignorance of how gambas works. I would expect a package of a project to include the project. As the package "wizard" gives you the option to select a location, I would expect that location to be honoured, and the project.desktop file (for a gui app) to point to the appropriate (destination) location. There are lots of locations that can be used to store programs,   /usr/bin or /bin or /opt/projectname or /usr/share/projectname/ are some of the common ones out there, even if program icons tend to be in a more limited location.
typically the README for the slackware package would contain a mention of dependencies, in this case gambas3 would always be a dependency, but slackware packages do not themselves do dependency resolution.
to be honest, I run a gambas file and it just runs, I don't know how to tell it to use qt4 or qt5 or gtk, all of which may be installed. I'm more familiar with slackware packaging (and visual basic) than gambas, but I do love the ability to do gui programming in basic on linux.
Slackware packages are tar.gz or tar.xz archives containing the directory structure when extracted to root (/) with a /install/slack-desc file containing the package description in a pre-defined format, and ofter a /install/doinst.sh script containing actions to be taken on installation. It is conventional to also store a copy of the build script in /usr/doc/project-version/project.SlackBuild along with any other relevant documentation for the project. On all slackware systems there will be the makepkg command, which is usually run from the temporary root created for packaging the project. There may be more information added for slackware derived distributions (slax, austrumi, dlack, slint etc) but I am not familiar with them.There are examples of packaging templates on slackbuilds.org/templates and on the structure of a slackware package on www.slackwiki.com/Writing_A_SlackBuild_Script
I can provide more detailed information if you would like.
Regards, Tim

tim DICKSON changed the state of the bug to: Accepted.