Anyone made a POSIX based file browser?

I'm making a file browser for my docker application.

Tricky though as I cannot mount the docker containers (as far as i know) i
can only "start" them in a terminal.

Currently i am using *ls* and *file* to list the directory and examine the
contents/links/etc
(file is not POSIX so has to be installed on images missing it but i need
it for mime type)

I wondered if anyone has ever done something similar?
Maybe for when accessing raspberryPI via COMM/TTL or other terminal based
system access ssh, etc?

Respects
BruceS