Re: New search implementation in the IDE

Am 17.10.24 um 19:00 schrieb Benoît Minisini:

Once you have hit 'CTRL+F' and the search textbox has the focus, you can
hit 'CTRL+F' again to cycle between the different search locations.

The idea to change the search type with keystrokes is something I wished for a long time but the form tells nothing about this new possibility.

Therefore it is unintuitive IMO. Nobody will use it because nobody will have the idea that multiple 'CTRL+F' alter the search type.

'CTRL+F' is a well-known shortcut which means "find" but not "change the way to find if hit multiple times". In general, I don't like the idea of giving a well-known instrument an additional alternative meaning. It's perhaps like when the steering wheel suddenly has to brake as well.

Because a user doesn't know about this shortcut the combobox with the search types is worse than the old solution, because now you need two mouse clicks to choose the search type.

Why not keep the solution with the radio buttons for the search types and alter between them with 'TAB'?

Then you could hit 'CTRL-F', $search, 'TAB' ..., 'ENTER'.

Then you can hit 'ENTER' to start the search, or 'CTRL+ENTER' to browse
and open the search result list.

This is also not intuitive (because the form tells nothing about this possibility) and here I find the old fashion better: As soon as there were multiple findings in different files the result list popped up.

Also:

When I know that CTRL+ENTER opens the result list, why doesn't it open it after I hit ENTER alone to find something and after that CTRL+ENTER?

Instead in this case CTRL+ENTER inserts a newline in the code. That's dangerous. Suddenly the code editor has the focus and eats further keystrokes.

Also:

When I hit 'CTRL+F', $search and 'ENTER' the search form is visible and I can close it with 'Esc'.

When I hit 'CTRL+F' + 'CTRL+F', $search and 'CTRL-ENTER' the search form is visible as well as the result list but I cannot close it with 'ESC'. Instead I have to click on the code editor and then hit 'ESC' to close both.

Contrary to the last implementation, all types of search is based on a
result list. This is why it is always available.

This is very, very cool.

Normally, with all the shortcuts of the search panel, you can get what
you want without having to use the mouse.

This is a very good idea, but at the moment it is a bit confusing and the user has to ask the programmer to understand it.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur