Re: A possibly clever idea...

I absolutely hate docker, flatpak, snap, appimage, etc.
First people write unportable code, then instead of fixing the root issue,
they make an absolutely huge bloated trash package that "overcomes" the
portability issue and call it a solution. Just imagine the mess if everyone
would choose to use those.
Instead (not in any particular order):
1. Work towards updating the repos.
2. Avoid newest, experimental, etc features if possible.
3. Write code that is not system specific, but adheres to broader standards
like POSIX.
4. Keep backward compatibility in mind when maintaining the software.

I'm sure I forgot something, but you got the point.

Jussi