Re: DBUS signals?

On 26/9/24 11:09 am, Jussi Lahtinen wrote:
DBus reminds me of Windows registry. And I don't mean anything good about that. I wonder what was the practical problem of using sockets, pipes, files and system signals. And did this solve any of the problems.

Jussi

Well, if it's any consolation, it took me a long set of tries to figure out what I know now. The issues that I had in general were understanding

 * that it is more like IPC than a registry, in fact it is IPC
 * the overall sense of things when some many familiar terms are used,
   that mean something different
 * what those damn "objects" were and how to use them to my benefit
 * how it bloody works at all.

That's why I sent those pictures. It how I see it today... and it works! 😮

There is some kilograms of intertube discussions on why and why it is better than sockets, pipes, files and ... what do you mean by system signals? SIGthis and SIGthat etc? If so, because it is much richer than them. Which reminds me ... you originally seemed to imply that SIGTERM doesn't work anymore? I have had no problem with it as recently as an hour ago when I wanted to kill an obscure program by the name of firefox that had gone out of control, again (God forbid).

regards