Re: I've only just heard the name Benoit spoken and i had it all wrong :-\

On Sun, 8 Sept 2024 at 19:12, Benoît Minisini <
benoit.minisini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le 08/09/2024 à 16:59, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> > So in my brain ever since i got into gambas the name Benoit in may head
> > was pronounced like Ben-oyt
> >
> > I have just watched a new tv series called Nautilus and in it one of the
> > main characters is a French scientist who they have been calling a name
> > that sounds like Ben-wa
> >
> > I'm watching the second to last episode out of 10 and somebody spoke the
> > name Ben-wa again and the penny finally dropped...
> > Ben-wa is how the name Benoit is supposed to sound!!
> >
> > Now my brain has to re-adjust to try to delete this Ben-oyt nonsense :-\
> > :D
> >
> > Respects
> > BruceS
> >

> Ha... French names in english...
>
> The "e" in "Benoît" is a bit like the "i" in the word "sir".
>
> The "oî" (or "oi" without the accent) is like "wa", with a "w"
> pronounced softly (more "a" than "w"). It's a diphtong.
>
> The circumflex accent on the "i" replaces a silent "s" written between
> the "i" and the "t" letters (i.e. "Benoist"). No idea where that "s"
> letter comes from.
>
> "Benoît", "Benoit" and "Benoist" all come from the latin name
> "Benedictus", that means "blessed". "Benoit" also means "simpleton" in
> French, but I prefer the first meaning.

Haha , yeah , to be fair the prior suits you more I think :)

> As for my name, it's pronounced like "minizini", each "i" being like
> "see", but shorter, and the "z" just a "z", not "dz".
>
> All that being said, I warned you that my english accent is terribly
> frenchy.

Lol, I can imagine :)   I apparently have a really good French accent, my
French teacher at school told my parents when i parlez francais I really
sound like a French person :-\

I clearly don't understand some things though Benwa ;)

I was researching my own name to discover it's actually French.
The name Bruce originated with Robert the Bruce , which is what the English
called him.  hi actual name being Robert du Brix but the English heard
Bruce.
Good job his name was spoken more than written or I might have been called
Bricks  ;)

Respects
BruceS