Re: I've only just heard the name Benoit spoken and i had it all wrong :-\

Le 08/09/2024 à 16:59, Bruce Steers a écrit :
So in my brain ever since i got into gambas the name Benoit in may head was pronounced like Ben-oyt

I have just watched a new tv series called Nautilus and in it one of the main characters is a French scientist who they have been calling a name that sounds like Ben-wa

I'm watching the second to last episode out of 10 and somebody spoke the name Ben-wa again and the penny finally dropped...
Ben-wa is how the name Benoit is supposed to sound!!

Now my brain has to re-adjust to try to delete this Ben-oyt nonsense :-\
:D

Respects
BruceS

Ha... French names in english...

The "e" in "Benoît" is a bit like the "i" in the word "sir".

The "oî" (or "oi" without the accent) is like "wa", with a "w" pronounced softly (more "a" than "w"). It's a diphtong.

The circumflex accent on the "i" replaces a silent "s" written between the "i" and the "t" letters (i.e. "Benoist"). No idea where that "s" letter comes from.

"Benoît", "Benoit" and "Benoist" all come from the latin name "Benedictus", that means "blessed". "Benoit" also means "simpleton" in French, but I prefer the first meaning.

As for my name, it's pronounced like "minizini", each "i" being like "see", but shorter, and the "z" just a "z", not "dz".

All that being said, I warned you that my english accent is terribly frenchy.

Benoît Minisini.