Re: Editor: Folding sections?

Le 17/06/2024 à 09:13, Rolf-Werner Eilert a écrit :
Am 16.06.24 um 01:13 schrieb KKing:
Re: Editor: Folding sections?

+1

I resorted to using Geany and even notepad++ for some work I had to do on some very large projects.

This was Benoit's response to my enquiry in 2019
Le 09/09/2019 à 18:50, KKing a écrit :
> Is there support for regions and within the IDE code folding?
>
> If not is it on a wishlist / roadmap ?
>
> K.

No and no.

--
Benoît Minisini

Maybe we can find a GSOC candidate :---?

K.

As to folding code: As far as I know (never checked the sources), the IDE and the editor is written in Gambas. If so, it should be relatively easy to re-use the existing folding procedures, combine it with comment recognition and add section folding to it.

I have been thinking this over, and if you guys could point me to the entry points for procedure folding and comments, I will take a look at it. At least I could give it a try...

Regards
Rolf

(1) The TextEditor aims at being syntax highlighting agnostic, so knowing if a piece of text (it's not necessary full lines) can be collapsed or expanded should be described by the syntax highlighting file.

(2) As for the folding implementation code by itself, you should write it indepently of the current code. It should be a black box code the editor tells to fold / unfold between two cursor positions, and that tells the editor the conversion between editor positions and visible positions, folding taken into account.

You should work on (2), and let me handle (1) later. But it's not an easy task. This is why I understood "no / no".

Benoît Minisini.