Re: Debian and Gambas (long read)

On Tue, 7 May 2024 at 23:56, gbWilly <gbWilly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sent with Proton Mail secure email.
>
> On Sunday, May 5th, 2024 at 22:58, Gianluigi <gradobag@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Yes. I'd like to switch to Debian, but holding me back is the lack of a
> > > more recent version of Gambas readily available (without having to
> build
> > > it myself).

> > > Not for my needs.

> > > I mentioned this before but got no response. How about hosting a Gambas
> > > repo for Debian (and others) on:
> > > https://packagecloud.io/
> >

> > +1
> >
> > Regards
> > Gianluigi
>
> Thanks for the replies.
> Not up for hosting my own, lack the financial means atm.
>
> I did test the bullseye repo for 3.18.4 and it works like a charm.
> I have a repository setup now providing gambas 3.18.4 for i386 and amd64
> for both debian 11 and 12.
> I' ve got it hosted in my home intranet and at my work intranet, both
> working fine.
>
> It is possible to host if on your own system if you install apache2 or on
> a old system you run as server on your local network.

I should think so, if you have the required data it can be anywhere, it's
just a case of accessing the address.
dynamic ip might need a workaround.  (i made a simple cron job in my
startup to touch my website and log my ip for local system access links)

> I' m working on a tar with repo and instruction on how to set it up and
> will provide some download location for those interested.

yes please. i might look into this packagecloud and see if it's possible to
set up more Os's.
packagecloud do a free option , 2gb storage and 10gb bandwidth.  could
probably host a few versions there.
https://packagecloud.io/pricing/

It would be good to see any scripts/code made to create the gambas
packages. (how does Benoit do it with launchpad?)

The ultimate solution would be a way to enhance the gitlab-ci to create
packages after compiling and post them somewhere.

failing that i might be able to do something on my digitalocean droplet.
failing that, on VMs

but if every system had an option like the ubuntu launchpad PPA it would be
great.

Respects
BruceS