Re: Wayland Problems

Le 27/04/2024 à 12:42, Dimitris Anogiatis a écrit :
OK dont start throwing heavy objects towards me... just yet... but since xy positioning is very actively discouraged by wayland folks then perhaps we're knocking on the wrong doors.

If a wayland compositor is responsible for window xy positioning and other functionality perhaps we can send a message on all of the wayland compositor devs to get something in each and every one of the wayland compositors out there so that we can get back some control from wayland.

Or perhaps there's a way of writing a wayland compositor C component specifically for Gambas. Those two are just ideas but maybe one of them (or something else someone else might have to suggest) is feasable. What do you guys say?

1) The list made by Jorge Carrion is pretty complete.

2) You don't write a window manager / a compositor just for some programs!

Each compositor is different, so you can't know by advance which features are available to your program when it runs, except the ones defined by the core protocol, and those that you check at runtime, but then you must know by advance which extension, and what they do exactly.

For example, KDE has implemented a lot of extension in KWin/Wayland so that features are equivalent with KWin/X11.

But you can't use these extensions if you don't use KDE libraries, and even if you use them without the KDE libraries, you are not supposed to write a program for each wayland compositor!

Technically, this is not really different with X11 extensions. It's just that the core protocol has missing features.

There is only one solution:

Someone enhances the Wayland protocol standard to get all the X11 features (or most of them: the X11 system tray protocol is not needed).

For moving windows, it could be optional, or having an option at the window manager level ("allow windows to move themselves"), but the protocol must be present at the beginning.

But if there is some sort of Wayland decision group, it may take a lot of time to be accepted, or be rejected. I have no idea.

Benoît Minisini.