Re: Wayland and Gambas

On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 at 17:08, Bruce Steers <bsteers4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 at 16:01, Philippe Valarcher <
> philippe.valarcher@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Wayland and problems :
>>
>> Soon Xorg will be liable for time (in not so long). Already, many
>> distributions offer Wayland by default.
>> Given the number of display bugs under Wayland with Gambas, it is time to
>> start identifying all these and glimpse some solutions.
>> Not so long ago Gambas did not work under Wayland, which will become the
>> norm in a short time.
>>
>> Here is what I have already identified with Patrick and is to be
>> continued :
>>
>> - Skiptaskbar is not operational under Wayland.
>> - Applications are displayed anywhere, no need to center them, your
>> forms, they will go: "On the screen".
>> - It's even worse with several screens.
>> - The Trayicon icons are not displayed, applications even seem to plant.
>> - Desktop.sendkeys does not work with Wayland.
>>
> There is for sure something wrong with screen and window positions.
> I have been looking at the issue and i wonder is there is some mix up with
> what top-level window is to screen.
>
> If i use code like this..
>
> Public Sub Form_Move()
>
>   Print Me.Left, Mouse.ScreenX, Mouse.X
>   Print Me.Top, Mouse.ScreenY, Mouse.Y
>
> End
>
> Public Sub Form_MouseDown()
>
>   Form_Move  ' I have to use this as Form_Move() event only triggers when
> form is opening, one is is opened and i move the form it does not trigger
>
> End
>
> I get the following results...
>
> When program opens Form_Resize triggers twice, first Me.Left and Me.Top
> are 384, 194 then it jumps to 26, 23
>
> The windows ACTUAL position seems to be 0,0 to the screen available X and
> Y (far left and below the top panel)
> Then moving the window and clicking it i get the following...
>
> Mouse.ScreenX and Mouse.ScreenY are reporting Mouse.X and Mouse.Y relative
> to the window not the screen.
>
> Me.X and Me.Y are always 26, 23 no matter where i move the window to.
> (and as mentioned Form_Move() does not even trigger)
>
> It's as if gambas is mistaking the top level window for the screen or
> something?
>
> I do not begin to understand the depths of the problem with all that but I
> offer my observations Banoit that i think point to a possible issue.
> Respects
> BruceS
>
> Something Benoit once said a long time ago about wayland protocol says a
"top level" window cannot be moved.

I (for some reason) thought Ben was maybe thinking by Top level it means
the applications top level window.
i think it means the actual Desktop window is the top level one and all
applications are not considered top level in the wayland docs eyes.

But I have no idea really, I just wanted to mention it in case i'm onto
something ;)

Respects
BruceS