[Gambas-user] "Cannot set status" by playing a VIDEO file with MediaView

Claus Dietrich claus.dietrich at freenet.de
Wed Jan 10 16:23:21 CET 2024

On 09.01.24 at 21:29 Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Maybe in the future I will mimic as much as possible what
> 'gst-launcher' does, but I usually like to understand why things
> should be done the way they are done.

For me Gstreamer is a science in itself and I hope that you succeed.

On 09.01.24 at 22:47 Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Le 09/01/2024 à 22:27, Claus Dietrich a écrit :
>> Am 09.01.24 um 20:45 schrieb vuott--- via User:
>>> ...anyway, the reality is that a problem with MediaView exists by
>>> running Video (and Midi) files.
>> Did you try to run the same video with a gstreamer command line to
>> see what error message you get?
>>
>> There is one more very serious problem with MediaView on my main pc
>> running Mint 20.3 Cinnamon:
>>
>> All videos played with MediaView are scrambled - see attached
>> screenshot. This does not happen on all its Mint VMs including Mint
>> 20.3 Cinnamon.
>>
>> Playing the same videos with gstreamer by command line is OK.
>>
>> Any idea what could cause the scrambling?
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Claus
>>

> No idea. Did you try the last commit?

Today I changed my 2nd PC (same hardware except CPU and same Mint) from
stable to master and got the same scrambling with MediaView.

My first PC has a i5-3470/ Intel® HD Graphics 2500 and the 2nd a
i7-3770/ Intel® HD Graphics 4000 and I use no graphics card.

When I played the video with GStreamer by command line ...

gst-launch-1.0 playbin
uri=https://files.edge.network/misc/avi/file_example_AVI_640_800kB.avi

or any other video player the video was displayed correctly.

As an experiment I removed the gstreamer1.0-vaapi package on my 2nd PC
and the scrambling of the MediaView was gone(!)

What does this mean in general and for the Gambas MediaView control?

Best regards

Claus