[Gambas-user] Happy new year 2024!

BB adamnt42 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 10:22:39 CET 2024

On 5/1/24 6:57 pm, Christof Thalhofer wrote:
> Am 04.01.24 um 19:54 schrieb Jussi Lahtinen:
>
>> I don't think organization changes much. Instead we need volunteers.
>
> An organization can collect donations and public funds. It can hire
> people. It can provide resources for communication. It can do
> advertising.
>
> Just a few examples.
>
> Alles Gute
>
> Christof Thalhofer

Both good points but unfortunately an "organization" needs organizing!
In the open source world that means that certain groups of individuals
are assigned to differing aspects of the organization. Do we have any
Gambas persons that would be willing to undertake those types of roles
that I am imagining here. At the moment I doubt it. Most of the bespoke
persons have other concerns and just want to enjoy the usage of Gambas
and their contributions to it, not to become part of a "bureaucracy"
that I am alluding to. An example of such an Open Source "company" is
Libre Office, which has obviously been successful but there were
struggles for some years for all the folks involved.

However, we do have an organization of a type with a "benevolent
dictator". Which to an extent is just like linux. Well, sort of, but IMO
better.The larger Gambas fraternity swells and ebbs over time but there
are very few instances of good material: code, wiki content, examples,
generous time-giving to help fellow users,  bug reporting, etc  (and of
course frequent courteous discussions on the mailing list 😉 ). Thus I
think that Gambas is bigger than a cottage industry.

Somewhere in this thread there was mentioned a fear that Benoit may
suddenly decide to take up clarinet playing full time and abandon
Gambas. I don't think that is a real problem (in that he also might not)
as there are many of the cadre who can and would maintain the core code.
All of them as far as I know are happy to experience the benefits of the
current "benevolent dictatorship". To expand on that, it is pretty
obvious that these folk all have their own personal copies of the
source, some have differing versions tailored to their own needs. One I
have to mention is that young grasshopper who is fairly active around
here. When he first arrived he was, well "pretty green", and just look
at him now!

Anyway, I think the status quo is fairly stable and supportable under
the heavens collapse.