[Gambas-user] Picture.ToString() ?

Claus Dietrich claus.dietrich at freenet.de
Thu Jan 4 17:24:15 CET 2024

Am 04.01.24 um 16:40 schrieb Bruce Steers:
> Ok cool,
> Does that technically mean png file sizes differ but quality remains
> the same or does "compression" effect quality too?
> when checking out the qt png saved files i could not really visibly
> see any difference in 2 files where one was twice the file size as the
> other.
>
> (just so i know when i update the wiki info)
> Thank you Benoit :)
>
> Respects
> BruceS

Hi Bruce

Right, the image quality doesn't change at all. Depending on the Quality
argument, PNG uses different lossless compression algorithms. Higher
compression just keeps the PC a bit more busy.

We had this subject already in 2021. At that time and after some
research I provided a few more details on the compression:
https://lists.gambas-basic.org/pipermail/user/2021-September/074178.html

The Gambas-Book already contains according details and it would be great
if the documentation reflects this as well.

On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 at 15:14, Benoît Minisini
<benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org> wrote:
> I can patch 'gb.gtk' so that the "quality" argument is transformed into
> "compression" for PNG files, so that there is no warning anymore.

Hi Benoît

This would be great. Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Claus