[Gambas-user] Happy new year 2024!

Jussi Lahtinen jussi.lahtinen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 00:43:40 CET 2024

Over the years I have tried to recommend and advertise Gambas. Usually
people who are interested are the ones who were using Visual Basic. If they
didn't hear about Gambas on time, then I think most of them adopted some
completely different language. Mostly Python..? That was also one of my
options back then, but idiotic things like whitespace as syntax kept me
away from it. And some people *still* insist that it is a good thing, as it
forces good indentation. In Gambas that "problem" is fixed in a second by a
click of a button on the IDE. No need for daily suffering for it. Then pip,
conda, etc... what a mess, none of them offer a simple, reliably working
system. Did I mention that Python is also slow? And does it still lack
decent GUI building tools, anything even close to what Gambas IDE has?

It's a cross platform language which supports Windows. I think that is
probably the only reason (and irrelevant to me) why it was so widely
adopted. And now it has a huge community, which offers reliability for its
long term success, lots of libraries, etc benefits. So, in some parts the
ship has sailed. However, Gambas really can have a bright future,  simply
because it is great. I think for the needed wider audience, Gambas would
need native support for Android or some other other popular OS.
Not necessarily a fun task.

Jussi