[Gambas-user] Versions collide! git pull shows wrong version of app

Brian G brian at westwoodsvcs.com
Tue Jan 2 20:23:19 CET 2024

On 1/2/24 06:40, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Le 02/01/2024 à 00:38, Brian G a écrit :
>> My projects are housed on github, I have been using that for a while,
>> and mostly use the current dev version when I pull the projects.
>>
>> I pulled the project to a system using 3.18.4 and to my surprise the
>> version number reverted to something from the past.
>>
>> Investigating I discovered the ,project file contains the older
>> version number and the .version file contains the newer
>>
>> version number. So opening the project with the older IDE uses the
>> .project version file. and newer IDE's use the .version file.
>>
>> Would it be useful for the IDE to maintain both version for backward
>> compatibility?
>>

> Actually no.
>
> The version was moved to a specific file because of git: almost every
> version change is a conflict for him.
>
> So now that the version is in its own specific file, so that any
> change to this file can be automatically reverted by the IDE when you
> open a project and close it without changing anything.
>
> The three files that are automatically reverted in that case are:
> - The project directory icon '.icon.png'.
> - The '.gitignore' file.
> - The version file '.version'.
>
> Regards,

  Benoît,

  This actually sucks, As now when a person clones the repository with an older version of
the IDE they appear to get a months old versions of the software when in fact they are running the latest source code.
I now must manually change the version in the .project file in order to keep it in sink with the actual version number.

This is really a problem for production code.. Really not a great look when I tell someone the latest version and they end up with
a mislabeled version.

Is there some compromise somewhere?

--
~~~~ Brian