[Gambas-user] Blurry text when PDF pages are rendered with gb.poppler and displayed with a DocumentView

Benoît Minisini benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org
Sat Feb 24 13:03:00 CET 2024

Le 24/02/2024 à 11:15, Claus Dietrich a écrit :
> Am 09.02.24 um 14:19 schrieb Claus Dietrich:
>> Am 07.02.24 um 19:34 schrieb Benoît Minisini:
>>> Don't give up: here is your project where the page render is fixed. I
>>> just didn't fixed the CreateThumbnail() so that you can do it yourself.
>>>
>>> Remember that you need the latest master with the poppler fix on page
>>> width and page height.
>>
>> Thanks! I will give a comment after Hans reconfirmed my test results
>> with the master. He will wait for V3.19 from the ppa.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Claus
>
> After the arrival of 3.19 (congratulations!) Hans tested the
> gb.poppler-version as modified by you and he came to the same result as I:
>
> The text rendering of the gb.poppler-version cannot compete with
> gb.pdf-version!
>
> Actually you only increased the resolution of the PDFDocument in the
> gb.poppler version to 150dpi but it doesn't reach the quality of the
> deprecated gb.pdf version in a DocumentView - even at default
> resolution. The result of the gb.poppler-version even worsens at higher
> resolutions like 300dpi.
>
> If you compare both versions (you must look carefully) you will
> certainly see the difference too. Here a screenshot:
>
> https://magentacloud.de/s/JNYEA4oejHXADJE
>
> - Upper = gb.pdf-version @ default resolution
>
> - Lower = gb.poppler-version @ 150dpi
>
> Best regards
>
> Claus

It's because you don't use the same resolution in both projects.

With gb.poppler, the resolution is explicit.

With gb.pdf, the resolution is 72 * the value of the Zoom property.

I will try to add a method in gb.poppler that paint a page on the
current painter by choosing the good resolution automatically.

Benoît Minisini.