[Gambas-user] Some more example projects to be distributed with gambas

BB adamnt42 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 14:02:03 CEST 2023

(story)

To illustrate, this type of thing.

In the early 1970's I was employed as a "senior programmer/project
manager" on a project at a rather large international merchant bank. One
day I was hauled over the coals by the IT Director asking "Why doesn't
your system stop the dealers from selling the stock lodged as security
on a loan?". Thinking quickly I replied "Well, I guess the programmers
assumed that no moron would even try that."

I doubt that would stand up in court these days.

But I do still remember the identity of the said programmer. (Wanders
away with hands in pocket, whistling "Moonlight Shadow")

On 2/9/23 9:04 pm, BB wrote:

>>> Hi Bruce,
>>>
>>> now I'm confused...
>>>
>>> First of all, "well documented" is very subjective.
>>> - Are these examples as well documented as the other examples
>>> distributed with gambas? Yes :-)
>>> - Are they documented good enough? Depends. They try to show a single
>>> thing. They are minimal. Not much documentation needed then. But surely
>>> they do not explain all knowledge that is required to build them. For
>>> example: the database examples use a DataSource control and arrange the
>>> data-bound controls as children of it. Why? That's something the gambas
>>> documentation shall explain. It's not documented as part of the
>>> example.
>>> And that's fine.
>>>
>>> After this rant: here's how I see it as a learner of gambas:
>>> When I want to learn something new I do:
>>> 1. Read the documentation.
>>> 2. Go over tutorials. I used the examples distributed with gambas for
>>> that. Some were helpful, some not. That's normal.