[Gambas-user] How to reduce the size of PDFs generated with PDFSurface/Cairo

Claus Dietrich claus.dietrich at freenet.de
Wed Oct 11 19:42:13 CEST 2023

Hi Fabien and Voutt

Am 10.10.23 um 13:04 schrieb vuott--- via User:
> Ehmmm...I got this simple and short code by using GhostScript external
> resources:

Thanks a lot for sharing your solutions. I put both into my treasure
box. They provided me with the confidence that I am not on the wrong
track. The PDFWriter class is a real PDF "killer class". Its scope of
capabilities is amazing and worth a very detailed look. Voutt's solution
is actually doing what I needed in my program. It does the same as my
single line Shell command. Here an example of my Shell command for a PDF
scanned with 300 dpi (A4 size) converted to 150dpi (=/ebook):

gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -q -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=595 -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=842
-sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dPDFSETTINGS=/ebook -sOutputFile=outputpath.pdf
inputpath.pdf

All relevant parameters (width, height, resolution, input.pdf-path,
output.pdf-path) can of course be inserted by a Subst command.

Best regards

Claus