[Gambas-user] New AppImage Feature (Master)

Benoît Minisini benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org
Mon Oct 2 22:23:34 CEST 2023

Le 02/10/2023 à 19:33, Claus Dietrich a écrit :
> Hi Benoit
>
> Am 02.10.23 um 13:01 schrieb Benoît Minisini:
>>> 2.    Why is the theme and font of the generated AppImage different
>>> and how can this be avoided?
>>
>> No idea. I don't understand all the magic behind AppImage, and you
>> have sometimes to choose a different Ubuntu distribution for different
>> applications to make them work.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Benoît Minisini.
>
> When I compared the protocols of the AppImage generation in the IDE and
> the "manual classical way" I possibly found the reason, why the
> generated AppImages didn't start any longer after I upgraded the Master
> to the cutting edge version. When I started them in the console I got
> the error message "Bytecode too recent. Please upgrade Gambas.".
>
> While the manual AppImage generation protocol correctly refers to
>
>      - sourceline: deb
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/gambas-team/gambas-daily/ubuntu focal
>
> the AppImage generation protocol in the IDE refers to
>
>      http://ppa.launchpad.net/gambas-team/gambas3/ubuntu jammy InRelease
>
> Is this possibly a bug?

No, because you are not supposed to generate an AppImage with the
development version of Gambas, i.e. use the daily Gambas PPA.

The IDE only uses the stable PPA.

> The comparison further helped me to determine the package
> qt5-gtk-platformtheme as the one which can fix my problem with the
> different font. I simply added it in the IDE on the basis of trial and
> error. Sadly, I didn't find any package which fixed the different theme.

The AppImage can only use the widget and icon themes provided by the
Ubuntu packages installed in it. So by default, you have the default
decided by Ubuntu on the specific Ubuntu version you chose.

With the IDE, you can manually specify additional packages to install
inside the AppImage, so you should easily be able to add new widget/icon
themes. But you won't able to modify the configuration files of Qt or
GTK+ to use theme, you have to do that inside your application with
'Application.Theme'.

Benoît Minisini.