[Gambas-user] About Gambas 3 IDE...

BB adamnt42 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 09:15:31 CET 2023

Inline

On 11/11/23 6:20 pm, Fabien TONIUTTI wrote:
> Hello every one,
>
> Gambas IDE became better and better with years and years and has now a
> lot of options, tips, etc...
>
> But as a simple user, here you find list of options i don't or never
> use :
>
> A-) Top of IDE, menus :
>
> Menu File:
> Reload project : I never use this command because if i need to reload
> project, it's because a crash of IDE.
No, if you have custom design components you need to be able to reload
the project if you alter and recompile them. -> DISAGREE

> Menu EDIT:
> Advanced: All submenu are never used.
DISAGREE. The only one I have never used (probably because I just dont
like the format) is Insert Todays Date. Further, although  all the items
have shortcuts, so if I have a glass of red in one hand then the menu is
*useful*.
> Select all: i use only key shotcut like cut, paste copy.
So what. DISAGREE
> Go to line: i use scroll button on mouse.
DISAGREE. Handy for getting to an exact (or approximate) line form an
error message.
> Lock form : This option is good but has a lot of problems.(impossible
> to unlock sometime, impossible to move scroll after, impossible to
> copy some code if it's locked, etc..) in this moment like this, i
> don't use.
DISAGREE I do

> Menu PROJECT:
> Follow version with Git : never use
DISAGREE That's your problem not ours.
> create patch : never use and i don't know for what, and for who?
DISAGREE.  I am not going to continue ...

> Menu DEBUG :
> I never use all options.
DISAGREE

> Menu VIEW :
> Console view and proejct view, i use keybaord shortcut. Rest i never use.
DISAGREE
> Menu TOOLS :
> search and find menu should be in EDIT menu.
> Open terminal menu never use
> send mail : never use
> update forms : never use
> logitheque : never use
> shotcut menu : Never use
So what? We do.

> Menu HELP
> Tips of the day : never show
Maybe you should try it.
> keyboard shortcuts : never personalise.
Your porblem. Not ours

> B-) Treeview classes Project on the left:
> Filter : i never use this option.
> icon home for start class : I never use because i double clic on bold
> class and i have the same result.
Irrelevant

> C-) Tab 'Form designer' on the center
> I use all and it's great !!!
> I don't use Lock icon because some problems (see follow)
>
> D-) Tab  'code designer' on the center
> In menu bar i don't use a lot of icon:
> Go to form icon : i use all the time
> Save icon : never use
> refresh icon : never use
> print icon : never use (printer exist in 2023?)
> undo redo icon, never use
> paste icon : never use
> color icon : never use
> Character icon : never use (why exist here?)
I'm only going to comment on the last. The Special character item could
be better but I still use it moderately frequently.
> Quote unquote icon : use all the time
> Stop point icon : never use this option.
Oooooooooo.
> Combobox choose procedure : Use all the time
>
> E-) Widget toolbox:
> All is ok but i need two very important things :
> - When i maximise my IDE, and move cursor on widgets, descriptions of
> widget are behind my xfce taskbar and impossible to know what widget i
> select.
>
> - To hide or show help, i need to click on the very very smal arrow on
> hbox in IDE. Is it possible to put small toolicon bar on the top of
> widgets properties.
>
> What does it mean icon : Show depreciated widgets? For what this icon
> exist?
>
> F-) On the bottom :
> Console : I push F11 all the time to remove this console. I use a lot
> but if it's possible, console need to be hidden by default.
> Notes icon : I never use this option.
>
> Conclusion :
> Gambas IDE is a very good tool, but it could be more slim and cleaned
> to be more efficient.
> Thanks for your comments.

I dont find your post helpful in the least.