[Gambas-user] ML Software (Was: Is there in Gambas a UUID implementation?)

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Tue May 16 07:14:05 CEST 2023

Am 15.05.23 um 21:17 schrieb T Lee Davidson:
> On 5/13/23 16:25, Christof Thalhofer wrote:
>> Another option would be to use 'mlmmj'. It's old but I'm in the
>> mlmmj mailinglist and they plan to release 1.4 sometime in the
>> future (so it's not dead) ...
>>
>> https://codeberg.org/mlmmj/mlmmj/releases
>>
>> ... and i like the author's page:
>>
>> https://mmj.dk/
>
> I see that version 1.4.0 beta1 has been released just a few hours
> ago. I have to wonder why the Codeberg repo is not linked on the main
> site: http://mlmmj.org/

The site is up and running, but abandoned. Nobody knows who is running
it. There was a discussion about that at the mlmmj mailinglist. We from
HS offered about a year ago to take it over and let it run on HS, but no
one responded who had access to the site.

https://codeberg.org/mlmmj/mlmmj/issues/3

> One thing that concerns me about using mlmmj is that having a
> web-based archive would require the use of a third-party solution.
> Mhonarc may be one solution, but it doesn't provide search
> functionality and hasn't had a new release since 2014. The majority
> of the third-party search solutions linked, even on Mailman's site,
> are old, stagnant, or cannot even be found.

The search functionality on our site is not powered by Mailman. Mailman
has nothing like that.

Instead I installed the (very old but sufficient) search engine
'Mnogosearch' to provide this:

https://lists.gambas-basic.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi

> Perhaps https://www.mail-archive.com/ could be another possible
> solution for a searchable web-based archive.

This is very strange:

https://www.mail-archive.com/gambas-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg41435.html

Says, that it would be 'sourceforge.net' but in reality it is here:

https://lists.gambas-basic.org/pipermail/user/2023-January/078093.html

I vaguely remember (I'm really not sure) that we tried to tell them that
the list has a new home but without success:

https://www.mail-archive.com/gambas-user@lists.sourceforge.net/info.html

-------

I'm not a fan of giving essential tasks to other open source projects
who do something strange with it. It's not mail-archive's fault, but I
don't think anyone today knows who was admin back then.

> I do like that Mads Martin Jørgensen is trying to bring attention to
> the significant issue of Dihydrogen Monoxide!

Yes, I also stumbled over this and laughed, a funny guy :-)

> What was the reason, again, that we cannot upgrade to Mailman3?

Mailman3 is a monster. While Mailman2 can be run on a shared webspace
and called by cron every few minutes, Mailman3 needs a couple of
daemons, so it has to run on a dedicated machine.

I also heard that it is immature and poorly programmed.

This was the reason that I decided to use 'Sympa' instead of Mailman3
for my own lists when it was time to leave Mailman2.

-------

Now I investigated a little bit and saw that on HS we are able to run
our own python 2.7 (hopefully forever):

https://wiki.hostsharing.net/index.php?title=Eigenes_Python_installieren

Mailman2 can be compiled to use it so we should be safe for the next
couple of years.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--