[Gambas-user] ML Software (Was: Is there in Gambas a UUID implementation?)

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Sat May 13 22:25:23 CEST 2023

Hi Jose,

Am 12.05.23 um 16:58 schrieb jose.rodriguez at cenpalab.cu:

> On 2023-05-12 06:29, Christof Thalhofer wrote:
>>
>> But we will soon have to switch to a new ml software als Mailman2 is
>> abandoned in Debian Bullseye.
>
> Christof, I had to figure out how to get mailman2 running on Bullseye a
> few months ago. This was after looking at the alternatives, which are
> very few and nothing with a nice web UI (somehow mailing lists are not
> important anymore?). Also, mailman3 looked like a big mess to me.
> Staying with mailman2 made it easy to migrate the existing lists from a
> very (very!) old Debian and mailman2 that was in use. Anyway, I will
> share the relevant parts steps, just in case...

Thank you very much! Indeed, it is worth considering to continue running
the list with Mailman 2. It simply does it's job and nobody hacked us
until now.

I run some other mailinglists and newsletters (on another server) and
there switched over to 'Sympa' which works very well but needs a couple
of daemons and some RAM.

Regarding the Gambas mailinglists there is a special situation. They
reside in a Linux homedir of the user 'gbs00-lists' on a quite powerful
shared managed host at Hostsharing (HS).

There it is not possible to run a daemon (or if we run some daemons we
would have to pay for it – Sympa would be quite costly).

Mailman 2 called by cron is quite sufficient for the few mails and the
little bit of traffic we produce daily. As you all can see the HS
webspace is very robust with fallback machines, backup to a different
data center and hostmasters who take care of the servers. But the
possibilities are limited.

In the near future HS will upgrade their managed servers to Bullseye and
I will now just promote to the hostmasters to install Python 2.7 on the
servers (we are not the only ones on the HS servers with this problem).
Alternatively, we can perhaps do this in userspace so that the old
Mailman 2 is powered by it's own (old) Python ('~/bin/python').

Another option would be to use 'mlmmj'. It's old but I'm in the mlmmj
mailinglist and they plan to release 1.4 sometime in the future (so it's
not dead) ...

https://codeberg.org/mlmmj/mlmmj/releases

... and i like the author's page:

https://mmj.dk/

;-)

For me, it's like this: I'm getting older and it wouldn't be bad if
someone else could also take care for the infinitely important Gambas
mailing lists. If you or anyone else would like to help, you're welcome.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur