[Gambas-user] Color Range

Claus Dietrich claus.dietrich at freenet.de
Tue Jul 25 20:22:35 CEST 2023

Am 25.07.23 um 14:28 schrieb Gianluigi:
>> Hi Gianluigi
>>
>> Thanks, I am aware of it and use it a lot.
>>
>> I had a closer look to gb.image.effect, which offers the methods
>> "Normalize" and "Equalize". The spectrogramm showed me, that
>> "Equalize" is getting close to what I am looking for, but it does it
>> automatically and for all colors. The context-description of the
>> method "Normalize" also fits to my requirements, but its visual
>> effect is very small and it also works fully automatic and for all
>> colors.
>>
>> Is there any known documentation about gb.image.imlib?
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Claus
>>

> It's not clear to me if you want to do something like this (*)? Maybe
> you should explain the problem better.
>
> Best regards
>
> Gianluigi
>
> (*) see link : https://paste.c-net.org/GymnastCylinder

Hi Gianluigi

Its all about my Gambas scanner program, which after years became pretty
mature and it's doing a fantastic job for documents and photographs. But
now I am planning to digitize tons of aged paper photographs (I guess
more than thousand). Normally I use two dialogues within Gimp (see
attached screenshots) to correct the ageing effects. The one shows the
spreading of the color range (showing a typical spectrogram for red of
an old photograph as reference) while the other provides an adjustment
of the color curve, with a spectrogram in the background for
orientation. Normally I do adjustments for red, green and blue
separately. To do this for more than thousand photos in a separate
application would be crazy. Like in good scanner apps I like to be able
to do exactly this within my app. Post corrections for Lightness,
Contrast and Gamma are already implemented but they cannot compensate
ageing effects.

I already tested a post correction for aged photographs with the fully
automatic "Equalize" method, but the results are unpredictable and are
ranging from good to very poor. I compared this method with Gimp and
found, that the results are identical to those of the Gimp's
Auto-Contrast feature, which is not what I need.

Hope that someone has an idea, how this can be done within Gambas.

Best regards

Claus