[Gambas-user] DataView Help

Gianluigi gradobag at gradobag.it
Thu Jul 13 12:15:55 CEST 2023

Il 13/07/23 00:38, Gianluigi ha scritto:
> Il 12/07/23 20:46, Christof Thalhofer ha scritto:
>> Dear Gianluigi,
>>
>> Am 11.07.23 um 16:06 schrieb Gianluigi:
>>
>>> here, what you just pointed out brings back to why I insist with Hans
>>> that we want to use the tools that Gambas makes available to us.
>>>
>>> Not everyone who writes small business programs has the experience that
>>> Benoit has, that you have or Shordi has, to name a few that we all
>>> know.
>>>
>>> Gambas shields us from so many mistakes, we only need to be smart
>>> enough
>>> to understand how these tools work (of course I am talking about
>>> myself).
>>
>> Gambas cannot shield the user from caveats of the design of the
>> underlying database schema.
>>
>> For instance if in a (RDBMS) database schema there are no primary
>> keys defined or if theŕe are no relations defined with foreign keys
>> pointing to specific primary keys Gambas will not prevent the user
>> from creating orders for nonexisting customers.
>>
>> This is one of the core tasks of an RDBMS.
>>
>> As I recall, you once tried to convince me that you didn't need
>> primary and foreign key constraints ("referential integrity is not
>> used in professional databases"), that it was too special, and that
>> yes, Gambas could do it all.
>>
>> What is very nice about Gambas is that it makes a lot of things
>> easier when dealing with databases. But it doesn't change the fact
>> that you have to understand what the database is doing underneath.
>> Ignoring that can lead to very, very costly errors.
>>
>> I've learned this the hard way. And if, on the one hand, you concede
>> that I understand something about the subject, you should also take
>> that into account when I give advice.
>>
>> Alles Gute
>>
>> Christof Thalhofer
>>

>> ----[ http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/netiquette ]----
>

> Hi Christof,
>
> Taking one sentence out of a larger context does not get the point
> across.
> Can you explain what referential integrity is for in a report where
> there is no deletion or modification of records?
>
> I have never hidden that I am an amateur and am willing to follow your
> suggestions, but I have never received any from you.
> All the times I asked a question you never answered.
>
> Alles Gutte to you as well
>
> Gianluigi

Hi Christof,

When I refer to your lack of help, I am of course referring to my
questions about databases.
You have helped me many times and for that I am grateful and I hope I
have not offended you.
When I talk about 'report' of course I am referring to the relationship
between tables.

Regards

Gianluigi