[Gambas-user] DataView Help

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Wed Jul 12 20:46:04 CEST 2023

Dear Gianluigi,

Am 11.07.23 um 16:06 schrieb Gianluigi:

> here, what you just pointed out brings back to why I insist with Hans
> that we want to use the tools that Gambas makes available to us.
>
> Not everyone who writes small business programs has the experience that
> Benoit has, that you have or Shordi has, to name a few that we all know.
>
> Gambas shields us from so many mistakes, we only need to be smart enough
> to understand how these tools work (of course I am talking about myself).

Gambas cannot shield the user from caveats of the design of the
underlying database schema.

For instance if in a (RDBMS) database schema there are no primary keys
defined or if theŕe are no relations defined with foreign keys pointing
to specific primary keys Gambas will not prevent the user from creating
orders for nonexisting customers.

This is one of the core tasks of an RDBMS.

As I recall, you once tried to convince me that you didn't need primary
and foreign key constraints ("referential integrity is not used in
professional databases"), that it was too special, and that yes, Gambas
could do it all.

What is very nice about Gambas is that it makes a lot of things easier
when dealing with databases. But it doesn't change the fact that you
have to understand what the database is doing underneath. Ignoring that
can lead to very, very costly errors.

I've learned this the hard way. And if, on the one hand, you concede
that I understand something about the subject, you should also take that
into account when I give advice.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--