[Gambas-user] wayland and screen

Benoit Minisini benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org
Tue Jan 31 15:11:35 CET 2023

Le 31/01/2023 à 14:50, Gianluigi a écrit :
> Hi Benoit,
>
> what do you say about Wayland, what is your opinion?
>
> Regards
>
> Gianluigi

It's like The Good, The Bad and The Ugly movie.

The ugly being that we can't move or activate windows anymore, which is
a very useful window as soon as your application has more than one window.

Apparently Wayland developers are aware of that uglyness even if they
won't admit it, otherwise XWayland (the X11 compatibility layer) would
not exist.

In other words: if you really need the X11 features, just target X11. If
your program run on Wayland, it will be run through XWayland, and
everything should work as expected.

At the moment, there is a problem with Gambas that can't explicitly
target X11 if it detects that Wayland is running. This needs to be
fixed, as I don't think now that Wayland will fix its uglyness.

You can prevent a Gambas program to detect Wayland by clearing from its
environemnt the WAYLAND_DISPLAY variable, and just let the DISPLAY variable.

To be honest, there are some good too in Wayland. They fixed a lot of
things that were impossible with the X11 design.

Benoît Minisini.