[Gambas-user] Pre-/Post-install scripts

T Lee Davidson t.lee.davidson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 17:50:54 CET 2023

On 1/18/23 04:25, BB wrote:
> On 11/1/23 6:31 am, T Lee Davidson wrote:

>> > This must be done for Rpm, Deb, ArchLinux and Slackware packages then. Is it possible? Any volunteer?
>> >

>> There seems to be no exact common denominator between those four systems in regards to pre-/post-install commands/scripts.

[snip]

> It would seem to me that this is something that could be implemented at the wizard level, rather than inside the actual packager
> concerned. In that, I mean that the pre- and post- processing of the project packaging are one thing and pre- and post-
> processing of the whole packaging mechanism are slightly different things. It is quite important that the internal packaging
> process, i.e. the stuff inside the repo specific packaging code, should not be "normally" disturbed unless there is something
> specific that could be needed for that apparatus. However, there is nothing wrong with adding some value in the case of
> post-processing at the wizard level to allow the developer to do some stuff with the result.
>
> Who knows, maybe generating some documentation, adding to a log file, publishing the generated package somewhere, playing a
> piece of music etc etc.
>
> As long as it is intended to operate outside of the internal packaging code then I think this may be possible.
>
> Or maybe I have misunderstood the original use-case?
>
> I am looking at "the usual suspect"s code for the compile post-op options with the hope that it could be adapted.
>
> Any thoughts

If I am understanding what you're saying, you're talking about pre-/post-package creation vs. pre-/post-install of a package
itself. I was talking about the latter. For example, the mariadb package does some post-install operations that include adding
service files for systemd, permission setup, conditional data migration, and non-destructive config file management.

--
Lee