[Gambas-user] system has hung a lot recently.

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 22:19:19 CET 2023

On Wed, 11 Jan 2023, 21:06 Benoit Minisini, <
benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org> wrote:

> Le 11/01/2023 à 20:11, Benoit Minisini a écrit :
> > Le 11/01/2023 à 19:31, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >> Has anyone else been finding their system frozen while debugging
> >> gambas projects?
> >>
> >> It's happened to me a lot of late , to the point i'm emailing here
> >> about it now.
> >> It seems to happen when error in a menu handler and it happens with
> >> the attached project.
> >>
> >> What happens..
> >> On error the debugger shows the normal msg and red line of text etc..
> >> but I no longer have any input control.  mouse clicks and keyboard do
> >> nothing.
> >> The pointer moves around the screen but i cannot click anything.
> >> All i can do is hold down the power button and hard reset.
> >
> > On X11, if a popup menu is opened, all keyboard and mouse events are
> > captured by the popup window. It's called "keyboard and mouse grab".
> >
> > Normally, I added a mechanism in the Qt and GTK+ component to release
> > grabs when the debugger wakes up. But it seems to not be very reliable.
> > I will check with your project.
> >
> > Anyway, when falling into that trap, you don't have to reboot. You can
> > hit ALT+F2 (or ALT+F3...) to open a Linux console, log in from there,
> > and kill the debugged process. In that case, X11 will automatically
> > release the grab.
> >
> > I don't know if the behaviour is the same with Wayland.
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> OK, I confirm that the automatic grab release works with 'gb.qt5' but
> not with 'gb.gtk3'.

Thank you Ben.
Yes thinking about I had the ide in qt but  testing the crash the loaded
prog may have loaded gtk. 🙄

And cheers for the tip. Seemed ctrl-alt-f3 was the only keyboard response I
got, that opened a full screen terminal it from there all I could do was
reboot as I couldn't figure out how to get back to the desktop.

But was nicer to run the reset command than hold power button down.

Respects
BruceS