[Gambas-user] system has hung a lot recently.

Benoit Minisini benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org
Wed Jan 11 20:11:34 CET 2023

Le 11/01/2023 à 19:31, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> Has anyone else been finding their system frozen while debugging gambas
> projects?
>
> It's happened to me a lot of late , to the point i'm emailing here about
> it now.
> It seems to happen when error in a menu handler and it happens with the
> attached project.
>
> What happens..
> On error the debugger shows the normal msg and red line of text etc..
> but I no longer have any input control.  mouse clicks and keyboard do
> nothing.
> The pointer moves around the screen but i cannot click anything.
> All i can do is hold down the power button and hard reset.

On X11, if a popup menu is opened, all keyboard and mouse events are
captured by the popup window. It's called "keyboard and mouse grab".

Normally, I added a mechanism in the Qt and GTK+ component to release
grabs when the debugger wakes up. But it seems to not be very reliable.
I will check with your project.

Anyway, when falling into that trap, you don't have to reboot. You can
hit ALT+F2 (or ALT+F3...) to open a Linux console, log in from there,
and kill the debugged process. In that case, X11 will automatically
release the grab.

I don't know if the behaviour is the same with Wayland.

Benoît Minisini.