[Gambas-user] Limitations when using the embedded server for debugging

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 21:19:46 CET 2023

On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 at 20:10, Claus Dietrich <claus.dietrich at freenet.de>
wrote:

> During development of WebPage applications examples (based on gb.web)
> for the Gambas-Buch we noticed that HTML-linked(/included) files like
> CSS, icons/images, multimedia and JavaScript have to be in the .public
> directory if one wants to use the embedded server for debugging. If the
> linked files are located in any other project sub-directory (i.e.
> .hidden) they are not found. As a result, all files will end up in the
> compiled executable and hence are not changeable or replaceable.
>
> Normally Gambas projects can use the .hidden directory to exclude files
> from the compiled executable, but this option is not available in
> conjunction with the embedded server. Even large movies will have to be
> included in the executable.
>
> This limitation doesn't apply if an external server is used, but this
> requires the installation of a server on the development platform or a
> separate platform with SSH access.
>
> Question: Why does this bothersome limitation exist, resp. can it be
> eliminated or is there a trick to include/ link files, if they are in
> the .hidden-directory?

I'm not sure the reasons but check out the projects .gitignore file.
you could add a folder to your project called .videos and put your vids in
there.
then add to the .gitignore file this...
.videos/*

that will exclude the contents of the .video folder from the compile.

or you could add the lines...
*.mpg
*.avi

and so on to omit various types.