[Gambas-user] Back-port of gb.highlight to all distributions with 3.18

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 18:39:53 CET 2023

On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 at 16:21, Benoît Minisini <
benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org> wrote:

> Le 26/12/2023 à 16:53, Benoît Minisini a écrit :
> > Le 24/12/2023 à 14:06, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >>
> >> I like that tag that someone has "Don't change anything EVER!"
> >> And yes i know you're now using words like "API" because many of us
> >> are monkeying around with the way you make things work then run into
> >> problems when you change things but that's just how it is :)
> >
> > I never change anything, unless I have to. :-)
> >

> >> My request for gb.highlight would be to make texteditor be able to use
> >> either gb.highlight or gb.eval.highlight api depending on what the
> >> user has installed. or to be able to drag-n-drop the gb.highlight/.src
> >> folder into my project and it work.
> >
> > Maybe it's possible, I didn't think about that. So I will think about
> > that, and I will tell.
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> After a bit of think, I still don't understand what you are doing exactly.
>
> If you rewrite the TextEditor control, or adapt it, it's up to you to
> adapt your code so that it works with both TextEditor 3.18 and
> TextEditor 3.19.
>
> TextEditor 3.19 internals are not compatible with TextEditor 3.18
> internals because it has more features, based on the new 'gb.highlight'
> component. Mainly now highlighters can be embeded with different
> background colors. For example: Gambas code inside CSS inside HTML.
>
> So please explain me again what your problem is exactly. :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini.

I'm not entirely sure ;) lol

Don't worry about it though, I think the new gb.highlight is awesome and
the benefit of it may just outway the quirks of me having to adapt my one
piece of software with new changes. (all my other programs only suffered
suddenly needing to remove gb.eval.highlight and add gb.highlight)

I should probably think more about creating branches for my programs that
match gambas versions.
Although that won't really help with rolling dev branch changes.
I guess that is just what "Development branch, use at your own risk" means
:)

For you Ben for for the benefits of the development of gambas by sticking
with master branch I'll get over it :)

Merry Christmas kind sir, wishing well

BruceS