[Gambas-user] DataBrowser: insert new record with autoincrement PK does not work

Martin Fischer martin.fischer6 at web.de
Thu Aug 31 15:45:34 CEST 2023

Hi all,

I'm working an a small educational project that works with DataSource,
DataBrowser and some Data controls.

I'm using a very basic database schema on a Sqlite3 DB, using gambas 3.18.3:

CREATE TABLE "person" (
	"person_id"	INTEGER,
	"sex_id"	INTEGER NOT NULL,
	"given_name"	VARCHAR(80) NOT NULL,
	"sir_name"	VARCHAR(80) NOT NULL,
	"birthdate"	DATE,
	PRIMARY KEY("person_id" AUTOINCREMENT),
	FOREIGN KEY("sex_id") REFERENCES "sex"("sex_id")
);

CREATE TABLE "sex" (
	"sex_id"	INT4 NOT NULL,
	"name"	VARCHAR(80),
	PRIMARY KEY("sex_id")
);

As you might notice, the "person_id" column in the "person" table
is to be auto assigned by the dB.

In my project, I created a DataBrowser based on a DataSource that is
bound the "person" table and added DataControls for the columns of this
table.
Basically this works as it should (browsing and editing works).

BUT: when I create a new row via the DataBrowser +-control and
fill in values to all DataControls except the control that binds the
"person_id" column, I get the following error:
   "You must fill all mandatory fields"

When I add a value to the control that binds the "person_id" column,
the new row is sucessfully stored.

This behaviour does not change when I remove the control that binds the
"person_id" column from the form.

My question: is there a way to tell gambas that the INSERT statement
shall not include the "person_id" column or so?

Or is there any other way to deal with such a (rather common) situation?

For your convenience: I'm attaching the project (which is really
minimal). Maybe that helps...

Regards
Martin Fischer