[Gambas-user] Launchpad, Debian maybe?

BB adamnt42 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 10:33:27 CEST 2023

On 30/8/23 8:07 am, Bruce Steers wrote:
> I was looking at launchpad and see they support Debian repositories too.
>
> Could a Debian launchpad be made / used instead?
>
> Wouldn't it also work for Ubuntu and all the systems it currently does
> with Ubuntu being Debian based ?
>
> Respects
> BruceS

The difficulties of binary publications are, as I see it, security
security and security.

The launchpad instance would have to be secure in and of itself. I
remain to be convinced that this has been achieved yet. The number of
recent attacks on distro download sites would indicate that even widely
used download technology is not hardened enough.

The administrators of the launchpad would need to be provably totally
honest and transparent. In addition there should be either a "benevolent
dictator" to oversee _any_ change to the binaries and the underlying
source or a fairly sizeable group of security conscious commandos
keeping a watch on changes.

Pundits (of the internet type) suggest that the source code for the
binaries be made unavailable to lessen the chances of malicious
subterfuge. Which sort of defeats the purpose, I think.

Nah, I'll stay clear for the moment.