[Gambas-user] Safety for collections

BB adamnt42 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 13:18:36 CEST 2023

On 22/8/23 8:38 pm, BB wrote:

> There is probably a simple way to do this, damned if I can see how.
>
> I have a collection of things (datObjects) that have a property
> (ObjectName::string) that in UML terms are Unique and ID. What I am
> trying to do is prevent the _replacement_ of an object in the
> collection if the ObjectName is already there. Better still, I'd like
> to warn the user when they enter the ObjectName that it already exists.
>
> The input form has a TextBox for the ObjectName and a "save" button.
> The latter updates the collection, whose key is the ObjectName, either
> adding or amending the item in the collection. So I kind of need to do
> this:
>
> 1) Are they really trying to add a new item or update an existing one?
>
> If adding then prevent them from overwriting one with the same
> ObjectName, otherwise if amending then only allow changes to the other
> data and not the ObjectName.
>
> 2) Then update the collection accordingly.
>
> Is that clear? It isn't to me. Any input would really be appreciated.

> p.s. I am trying to avoid having separate Add and Update buttons for
> reasons.

I may have oversimplified. The basic gen is that there is a form with a
list of some type on the left and an "editor" panel on the right. The
user clicks on an item in the list and the data for that item is loaded
in the editor. Now the quick way for them to add a new item is to click
on a similar one, give it a new name and change some of the other data
as required, then click the save button. BUT the new name they use may
already exist. ... ...