[Gambas-user] UnCompress question

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 14:25:01 CEST 2022

On Sat, 10 Sept 2022 at 10:30, Benoit Minisini <
benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org> wrote:

> Le 10/09/2022 à 10:23, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >
> > So gb.compress is limited to only blind single file archives, no archive
> > contents listing, no accessing / unpacking multiple files inside the
> > archive?
> > and unpacked filename must be already known/assumed as there's no way to
> > read archive contents?
> >
> > seems like a lot of library for very little functionality.
> >
> > Could do with Uncompress.Dir() to list archive contents
> > and then a way to extract single internal files like
> > Uncompress.Extract(Path, Dest)
> >
> > sadly the component is written in C not gambas so it's beyond my
> tweaking.
> >
> > Respects
> > BruceS
> >

> Yes. 'gb.compress' is for compressing, not archiving.
>
> If you want to create compressed archives, use the command-line tools.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini.

Ahh , very well
I see there's /main/gbc/gbc_archive.c but it looks internal/private is
there too much to do to update Uncompress to support listing and extracting
items or can gbc_archive be modified to extract items and work publicly?

I assume gambas itself (gbc) can unarchive because a gambas exe is an
archive (or am i wrong about that and it works differently?)

Note: not interested in adding/making archives just extracting.

Reason: I'm adding an update class to my progs that uses gitlab,
It checks version in .project file and downloads the archive if newer, then
extracts contents to update/compile source.

Respects
BruceS