[Gambas-user] EDITOR environment variable

jose.rodriguez at cenpalab.cu jose.rodriguez at cenpalab.cu
Fri Oct 28 16:45:03 CEST 2022

On 2022-10-28 09:28, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> Le 28/10/2022 à 15:21, gian via User a écrit :
>>>
>>> Same here with v3.17.3 on openSUSE Leap 15.3, and also with $EDITOR
>>> not set. (Version control seems to work just fine.)
>>>

>> Hi Lee,
>>
>> I noticed that it happens only if you compile, if you install from
>> repository (in Ubuntu PPA) even if you don't have those text editors
>> or environment variable installed nothing is asked.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Gianluigi
>>

> The $EDITOR environment variable is used only when the IDE run
> specific git / svn commands that requires it.
>
> Maybe I should find a way to workaround this requirement...

IIRC from my VectorLinux days, we set $EDITOR by default (can't remember
if system-wide or in /etc/skel) so I figured at least the most common
distros did the same, but it turns out Mint does not (at least in 21.0).
Mint does, however, use an "editor" symlink using the "alternatives"
system, which I assume Ubuntu and maybe Debian also do.

joe1962 at mint-pc:~$ which editor
/usr/bin/editor
joe1962 at mint-pc:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/editor
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Aug  9 11:26 /usr/bin/editor ->
/etc/alternatives/editor
joe1962 at mint-pc:~$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/editor
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Aug  9 11:26 /etc/alternatives/editor ->
/bin/nano

Don't know if that helps any (if other distros do it or not), but there
it is...

Regards,
Joe1962