[Gambas-user] Problems with interpreter optimization and CPU behaviour

Benoit Minisini benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org
Sat Oct 8 20:44:51 CEST 2022

Le 08/10/2022 à 20:15, Jussi Lahtinen a écrit :
> Could be some limit in the speculative execution. Any correlations to
> the L1 - L4 cache sizes of your CPU?
>
> Jussi

My Ryzen 5700G L1 cache size is 64Kb by core, according to this link:
https://www.techpowerup.com/cpu-specs/ryzen-7-5700g.c2472

The object file of the interpreter loop (gbx_exec_loop.c) has less than
32Kb of machine code inside according to 'objdump'.

I suspected the gcc compiler to do something weird with the '-O3'
optimization, i.e. taking some optimization decisions that have huge
effects as soon as you add three lines of code...

--
Benoît Minisini.