[Gambas-user] Settings problem (crash)

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 15:05:37 CEST 2022

On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 at 13:46, wig <wig at noxqs.org> wrote:

> I learned something interesting about the use of the Gambas IDE:
>
> 1) I always did do "run", but then you don't see these warning messages at
> all, it just says "compiling ok".
>
> I'll be handling more the F7 and less the F5 in the future..
>
> 2) The "find", "Search in all files" does not give me this occurrence of
> "Settings"
>
> This name slipped in via an accidental paste I think
>
> Normally I give the menu items names like mnuHelp or mniHelpAbout, or
> indeed mniSpacer.
>
> But I didn't know I had to be so carefull with names there..
>
> Thank you!no sense for FMain.class, line 9 where the debugger said it was
> because the warning was in fact coming from FMain.form not FMain.class)

You're welcome :)

I often press the "Compile all" button in the IDE just to see any errrors
The errors will also show when selecting the "Make exe" option

Yes it looked like a simple oversight/mistake as your other menu names were
well defined.
the hard to find ones are just the worst.

And yes to the menu names there.
The menu name is also used as the Menu Object pointer reference.

So using "Settings" as the menu name makes the IDE do something like this..

Dim Settings As Menu = New Menu(mParent)
Settings.Name="Settings"
it creates a menu object called Settings then sets the Object.Name as
Settings too.
then using Settings["Sub/Name"] used the menu instead of the Settings.class
hence the "not an array" error.

BruceS